21/06/2015

On Saturdays We Wear Pink!


I couldn't resist borrowing a line from one of my favourite films EVER, the classic Mean Girls. It might be the first time on the blog but I can guarantee now it will not be the last time I reference this great movie. So why was it a pink Saturday instead of Wednesday? Well Saturday 20th June saw myself and my cousin Rachael take part in the Cancer Research UK Race for Life Pretty Muddy event in Glasgow.

I've mentioned in previous posts that 2015 has been a challenging year due to my boyfriend's diagnosis in January. It was because of this I decided on two things; I was going to focus on my health and fitness and I wanted to give back to a charity that I had a real passion and connection to. The Race For Life event first started in 1994 in Battersea Park, raising around £48,000, since then it has grown enormously with women taking part in races all over the country and raising an amazing amount of money. This money will hopefully one day contribute to the research that finally allows everyone to survive this dreaded disease that affects so many people.

In the last few years the Race For Life has really developed and now includes 5k, 10ks and now the event that we participated in; Pretty Muddy. This event I guess is kind of like a really pink, tutu wearing, girly version of Tough Mudder. It's a little bit of running, climbing, crawling, sliding and a lot of mud and even more fun!

My event took part in Bellahouston Park on the South Side of Glasgow, I arrived pretty early as a) I was actually really excited and b) was getting picked up by my dad who would rather be 3 hours early than even 10 seconds late! The atmosphere when we got there was awesome, lots of happy people, music provided by Heart FM and what looked like the entire contents of a Clare's Accessories warehouse! Plus, despite there being a slight drizzle in the morning the rain actually did the decent thing and stayed away.

As we stood around waiting for our wave to be let loose on the course, we could see some of the early birds returning victorious. Covered head to toe in mud. What had we let ourselves in for? Well we were about to find out as we were ushered into the pen for a quick warm up before the klaxon was fired. The warm up led by the guys from Pure Gym was actually a lot of fun. Mainly because we were able to sing our hearts out to Taylor Swift (full disclosure: Swifty is totally a guilty pleasure of mine! Shake it off, shake it off!!). Then we were off.......


The course itself was a mixture of a little running and a lot of fun obstacles like crawling through tunnels, climbing cargo nets and crawling through a muddy trough while mud and water were thrown at us. So basically a whole lot of fun! It ended with us climbing up an inflatable wall and sliding down a chute into a mud pit.

I've no idea the time we did it in, but it really wasn't about the time we did or how fast we ran. It was all about the experience and more importantly it was about the money we raised. I'm so proud and overwhelmed that we managed to raise £1,190 for a charity that is so close to my heart. Family, friends and colleagues have been so generous and I can't quite believe we were able to raise this amount. To all of them and to the people that supported us on the day, I say a massive THANK YOU!!!!!
twitter instagram email me

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS